Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Italy, Week 31 (6/10/15) - Are We In Slovenia Yet?


Hello wonderful people of my life! So yeah, we may have walked to Slovenia this week, who knows. All we know is that we were on a bike path (which we do know goes to Slovenia) doing finding when it suddenly turned into a dirt path. Not sure if that means "new country" or what. But either way it was fun! Our feet were killing us though.  We hardly made it through the door when we got home. We slept real good that night.  This week we actually got let into a house! That never happens!! We were ringing "doorbells" at this one building and someone just let us
in, so we went to the top to start knocking on doors and the first door opened and it was a young girl and her mother and they were so nice! The mom knew who we were right away and said they were busy but to come back the next day. So we came back and had a wonderful time with them! They're just a little family of three and the husband is from Argentina and he was sooooo funny. You don't find a lot of funny, goofy men out here, so it was nice so have a good laugh at some good ol' Argentinian humor.
That same day we were walking down the street when suddenly this cute woman turns around and says "are those American accents I hear?" She was from Wales and is teaching English here. We talked with her for a bit and walked with her and ended up walking into a grocery store
while she bought some white wine. I now know how to know if wine is good quality or not. You learn the most important things on your mission. (That is actually true though) she wanted to buy us some drinks after so we went to a bar (in Italy bars are not as bad as
American bars. So it was okay that we were there. They're more like cafe's) and got coke and orange soda and clinked glasses. It was so fun! She was so cute and you could tell how much brighter her day was made just from the little moment we were with her.  The other day we were doing finding on a bike path near our church and we stopped this woman who was kind of exercising (aka walking slightly faster than a normal pace) and she was inching away so we asked if we could walk with her and we taught her a lesson. We asked if we could pray with her and she was like "yeah!"  But then kept walking and she wouldn't stop so we were like, okay, we'll just go for it. So we said a prayer while speed walking down the bike path. Oh man, I just love moments like that. Moments that you would never have if not for the mission. They just bring me so much joy. Also after we were talking to this chubby shirtless man about God and heaven. He gave us candy because we were belle ragazze (pretty girls). He was really nice :)
Oh man. Then yesterday we were at a members home who have a less active daughter that we work with, the father is super musical and has all these really cool instruments. I've heard him play most of them, but never the accordion before. Until yesterday.  And it was so magical. I
was just sitting there and was like "I feel like I'm in Italy and I love it!" He played a swing and it took all of my power not to get up and start dancing. It was so fun!! I could've listened all day.
And now we're here, still in the wonderful, magical land of Trieste, off from the rest of the world, with only Slovenia as her real friend.  And the Adriatic Sea. Where men of all shapes and sizes roam shirtless and free, and women walk their cats on leashes. I love it here. I love the people, my companion, the beauty, the laughs, tears, achy gross feet, and full chubby bellies. Sometimes I stop and think about the fact that I'm on a mission and what that means. I'm here helping to further the Lord's kingdom so that others can enjoy the happiness that I get from this Gospel and the covenants that I have made with my Father in Heaven in this life, but even greater, in the life to come.  Thank you again, all of you, for all that you have done and continue
to do. Thank you for your love and support, now and in the past. I love you all and pray for you always. Keep the faith, stay strong in times of trial knowing that God is always with you, no matter what mistakes you may have made. Vi voglio un mondo di bene!  (I want a world of good)
Sorella Hawks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment