Saturday, August 15, 2015

Italy, Week 40 (8/12/15) - The Fury of the Heavens Unleashed

It's been so long! Haha just kidding, it feels like it was just Pday because it was....
To start things off, the opera was INCREDIBLE. So funny, the singers were so talented, and the seats were so awful. They were €11 so I didn't expect much. We had to stand if we wanted to see the stage. But hey, it was totally worth it. Those singers are soooo incredible, I don't know how they do it. After we ran over to the Duomo to see it at night because it would be our only opportunity and it was so fun! An African guy came up to us trying to sell us bracelets and after we said no thanks, he said "hakkuna mattata" as he walked away. It made me so happy.
A few nights ago we were woken up to the craziest storm I have ever experienced. I can't even describe in words what it was like, all I can say is it sounded like the world was splitting in half.  The thunder was so incredibly loud and powerful. At one point an alarm started going off and it stopped, but then went again, which made us think it was some kind of "run to safety or die" type of alarm. We didn't know what to do in such a situation, so we just laid in bed until it stopped.... It didn't take too long, so we were totally fine :) but gosh dang, that storm was incredible.  Lightning that made you think it was mid-day and thunder that made you think you and your house were going to drop into a giant hole in the earth.

Monday night I got to teach a new convert piano lessons for a couple of minutes after a lesson and it was awesome! I forgot how much I love teaching piano, it was such a blessing to have that opportunity again.  Last night we taught the ward FHE about follow the prophet and it went super well! We played a game were we had a bowl full of pieces of paper that have good things that you did and bad things and there was a picture of Christ at the front of the room. If you "did" a good thing, you got to take a step forward. If you "did" a bad thing, you take a step back, both show that when we follow the prophet, we are coming closer to Christ and to Eternal life. It was so fun!
Last week I got to do a scambio with one of Sorella Nilsen's old companions which was so fun! She was super great and I got to stay in the city and get lost and whatnot :)  
I started studying the Old Testament a few days ago and I'm currently reading about Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. One thing that stood out to me most as  I'm studying this is how much faith and patience all of them have. They're promised that their posterity will number more than the stars in the skies and the sands of the sea. And yet some of their wives, through whom this blessing was to come to pass, were unable to bear more than one child. And yet they knew that this blessing would come. How often do we feel like the Lord is not upholding His promises? How often are we impatient for the fulfillment of His blessings? I know for me it can be pretty often, certainly more often than I wish. But one thing I've learned and am continuing to learn is that God never leaves a promise or a blessing unfulfilled. He never goes back on His word. His timing is MUCH greater than ours. Trust in Him, believe in Him. Miracles are coming, and are already all around us. God loves us and wants to bless us more than we can receive. At times we just need to be patient.
I love you all so much, I hope you have a wonderful week :) transfer calls are coming up on Saturday, so I'll let you know what's happening next week!
Lots of love,
Sorella Hawks :)




No comments:

Post a Comment